Friday, February 12, 2010

Beloved Bumps

A crazy beginning to the month of February!

My beloved Purdue Boilermakers turn out another winner in Drew Brees. I've always been a latent Saints fan, the whole God thing, loved the idea of New Orleans and thought it was great that Ditka went on to coach there too. Then they took on Drew Brees, even when his career was uncertain. And look what they got. Drew was the first quarterback I saw in one of my many visits to campus before I transferred from PUNC. He (and an awesome team and coach) took the Boilers to the Rose Bowl and on to a championship. A winner even then! Congrats to the Saints, I am sure the celebrating has not stopped and will go on long past Fat Tuesday next week - but fun times. And congrats to Mr. Brees and his family for all they have done for an amazing city. Maybe the hubby and I will make it there for a mini vacation sometime!! Enjoy Mardi Gras!!

That brings me to the question of the day. Mardi Gras, which is French for "Fat Tuesday" is the celebration or carnival before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. Kind of the last hurrah before 40 days of watching what you eat and some form of devotion exemplified by giving up sweets, extra charitable work, etc. For a number of years, my sister has given up sweets or chocolate in some form for the 40 days. I'll be honest, I don't have the will power. And, it makes me wonder if there shouldn't be some way that those around you choose your lenten promise. I mean, if you asked my sister or family, they would choose something for me very different than what I might. For the sister, our family would definitely NOT pick chocolate if nothing else, but for all of our safety. It just begs the question - what would your loved ones ask you to give up for Lent? (If you were a practicing Catholic, etc.)

I, for one, am opting for many personal improvements (in addition to the resolution list - going very well, thank you for asking)...but the big one - less clumsy. I am going to work on being more coordinated and NOT injuring myself. My sweet pup and hubby decided to enjoy the weather on Tuesday night. There was an unexpected result...an emergency room visit. All is well, but what started out as a careful, but fun romp in the snow quickly turned into a display of my snow-skating abilities and keen skill in bouncing my skull off the (unshoveled and unsalted mind you) pavement! A small gash that of course bled like crazy, like all head wounds do, led to the ER. A thank you to the nurses and doctors that checked me out, cleaned me up and sent me home. And of course the awesome hubby for taking terrific care of me. I am now graced with a lovely egg on my head and have worn my hair in pigtails for the first time in my life to keep my hair out of the cut. And I've now spent the last three days with the worst hangover I've ever had and I haven't even had one drop to drink all week! The cruelty of it all, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment