Thursday, February 25, 2010

Observation Report


So in my time on this lovely home, we call Earth...I have made some observances of what happens around me. I tend to be fairly aware of my surroundings...granted, not when ice is involved. If there is ice within a 20 mile radius, I am certainly the one that will find it and not only do so through sight, but I will have my rear end, knee or entire being come face to face with the ice to be absolutely sure that it's there. I have fallen on ice THREE times since Christmas. I mean really?! But I digress...here are some brief observances from my recent experiences.

Olive
Speaking of the little dear...OH what a handful. I promise to post again with more photos this month, but she's just too funny. Lipstick, tissue, you name it, she loves it. Her fur is so fine that it seems to matte very quickly. We had to have her shaved, quite a bit. She's very naked and she dislikes the cold ever more now, but Miss Olive is still the most adorable pup with her big brown eyes and pretty fur. Unfortunately, most recently, Olive has discovered her love of poker. As the hubby finished setting up his poker table and chips last week for a game we hosted, Olive was intrigued. She decided to join in the game...well at least she wanted to anti up. Since she's underage, we did not let her gamble, but perhaps in a few years. I think blackjack will be more her game vs. poker, but we'll see. Enjoy the photos.

Commuting
Since my brief reprieve from a daily commute, I had forgotten how hysterical, fun, and annoying it can be. Obviously, it'd be great if we all lived on the Starship Enterprise and could be "beamed" to our location of choice, but we don't and commuting is always slightly tedious and a bit of a pain. Alas, it's a necessity and mine is fortunately not very long. However, I forgot how hysterical people are. That everyone thinks once their car door is closed no one can seem them - they pick their nose, they sing along to the radio, they talk on their phones and use their hands vehemently to explain their conversation to the person on the phone (because it does help them explain of course!) and my favorite one today - a guy in a car behind me was picking at his hair (or something in his hair) and licking it off his hand. Gross, yes, but is anyone else wondering what in the heck he was tasting?! I am very guilty of the "invisible in the car" mindset - I sing, I dance and I have fun...that is, unless I'm a passenger. If I'm a passenger, all bets are off and I'm likely sleeping. So if you see some crazy gal in a car buzz by you singing and having a good time, I ask that you smile and keep on licking your hair.

Mechanical Things
I hate them. No, that's probably too harsh. I dislike them a lot and I usually don't understand them, which makes me like them even less that I may have originally! So my car broke yesterday. It acted like it was possessed and I had no prior warning. It wouldn't start - the lights flickered and the trunk lock kept clicking like it was on speed. The ghosts of cars past temporarily attacked the car - as if to remind my current wheels that they're paid off in less than six months. Therefore, you must be broken and expensive right now. Argh. The car is fine, but it would just be nice to have all mechanical things work with me more often.

Lent
So far so good - no soda, no red meat, no pork. These were my sacrifices for lent and I've added the rosary once a week into my life. Why is it that when you decide not to eat or drink something, that is when you want it? The idea of a juicy hamburger and a refreshing soda right now sounds amazing. I mean incredible and yummy...but, the symbolism of lent reminds me that this is nothing in comparison. Something interesting that I've heard and seen this year - the Church itself is encouraging Catholics to consider reducing their carbon footprint as part of this season of lent. It's definitely made me more mindful this year, but I find that very interesting. I wonder what Olive would give up for lent? Hmmm...

So something ramblings from me about things just going on around me. On to the next random thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment