Monday, July 6, 2009

Fireworks and fireflies

Do you think people are like fireworks?

Some are just plain loud and obnoxious and really serve no purpose at all while some are beautiful, colorful and full of sparkle. Some are shapes, smiley faces and hearts...some are squeal and scream and the best ones shimmer softly and make you smile.

This is the very first year that I did not see one firework. The weather was terribly dreary and there were no displays to be seen. The one firework or two we passed on the road, I missed seeing in person. I adore fireworks. I have very happy memories of family members teasing okay you say ooh, you say ahh, and we'll say ooooh! Friends have flocked to various fests and hillsides to douse ourselves in bug-repellent to walk home full of bites and itches but happily chatting away about which ones we liked best.

This made me think - I haven't seen one firefly this year either? I'm sure they're out there. I'm sure they're not extinct...but where are they?

Is the world so desperately devoid of sparkle? Between fireflies and fireworks, what brings the shimmer to July?

I'll be left to see the sparkly reds and blues in the faces of the neighbor with the cute dog, the smiley face in my puppy, the colleague full of sparkle, my friends that are beautiful and colorful and that special guy that is most definitely the slow shimmer that makes me smile.

Happy Independance Day to all! Thank you to the men and women that make it possible for all of us to enjoy these freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment