Thursday, July 23, 2009

To post or not to post?


That is the life-long question. Our world is now so virtual, so immediate - what do we share that isn't already out there in some way?


I've been home sick for three days with an awful flu bug...not fun. I certainly haven't taken sick days, let alone multiple sick days like this in years. Probably not since my neck surgery. To be forced home by exhaustion and fever and to not be able to do things - laundry, clean, bills, etc. is EXTREMELY frustrating. I've never been one to lay around and do nothing. Relaxing isn't my specialty. Planning, cleaning, organizing - now those things I have in spades. And even my sick days, they aren't 100% do nothing - they're check email, voicemail throughout the day. Keep up on details, walk the dog, etc.


Are there people out there that can honestly admit to doing nothing at all? It's an art I'd like to learn a little better...relaxing is good for the soul. Or as someone told me today, guilt over being home is for pansies...and I am not a pansy. (Which made me giggle, because I then immediately envisioned King Julian discussing the "bunch of pansies" - which will only be funny to those of you that know and have seen the movie Madagascar. A funny one and must see in my opinion!)


Take smart phones - I recently gave in to the world and purchased a smart phone that allows me to see email and my calendar by phone. It's awesome, most of the time...but it either rings or vibrates (depending on your settings) whenever you get an email. When you have colleagues or friends that send early morning or late night emails, you can imagine how "interesting" this could be. Yet another piece of figuring out how to balance work and personal life, right?


So if you're not to feel guilty about taking personal time, but the immediacy and virtual world demands that you're always connected - is there a balance of the two? I'd welcome comments on how to achieve this - I certainly haven't figured it out yet!


On a side note...Olive has been great company as I've been home. A perfect cuddle bug!

1 comment: