Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kate's Fables

Aesop, he had a point.

Failure
It's happened. Tragedy has struck. I missed a third post in February. OH, the agony. The inhumanity of it all! I apologize to our devoted reader (okay two readers) and promise to keep working on doing more in the upcoming months. I do have a measly excuse. I honestly was 100% sure this was a leap year and hoped to post the photos on Monday. BUT, Monday was not February. I feel very guilty and I do apologize, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me and enjoy the pix of Olive anyway! Morale: pay attention the calendar, it has a way of creeping up on you! Moving on...

Attention
I do not have a perfect driving record. I'm sorry to admit it, but it's true. However, I consider myself to be at least a decent driver. I don't read the newspaper, browse magazines or surf the web while driving. Tonight, on my way home, a "gentleman" behind me in a minivan (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) was obviously so important that he had to work and drive. Along the route, there was a harder than usual stop (not a screeching halt, but a hard stop due to some traffic). Mind you part of the hard stop was caused by the police cruiser a couple cars up as he was stopping on someone that turned last minute. The "gentleman" behind me was not paying attention. I don't know about you, but when there's a harder than usual stop I look up out of some misguided sense of being able to do something about the person behind me stopping or not I guess. Well, I see the man in question reading a piece of paper and holding another piece in his other hand along with a pen. He had to slam on his brakes to not hit me, thank goodness, but BARELY made it. I mean really. What gets better, that wasn't enough for him. He screwed around for the next mile or two to the point where he swerved off the road. Literally into the grass off the road. I pray that someone is watching over him to keep him from killing someone, but I was just appalled. Morale: Man who works in car while driving cannot multitask like he believes he can. Also, pay attention on the road!

Kindness
In keeping with the road rage theme, there is kindness in the world still. I was fortunate to borrow a siblings red VW bug last week. What fun - truly a happy car! People are definitely kinder and more aware when you're in a car that zips and this car just feels like a cartoon. But again, I digress. Thank you to the random folks that pay attention to the road and the traffic around and let others in - whether it's a lane change or a left in heavy traffic. Thank you to those folks and shame on those that are too busy napping, eating, talking on their phone, working in the car (YES YOU!) and many other things to see anything outside the car. May you find kindness on the road too. Morale: Make your driving golden - karma will find you!

Ambiance
I'm thrilled to be organizing my new office. I share it with another person and she tends to get headaches from florescent lighting. Great - I hate florescent lights too. However, I'm shocked by the number of folks that have given us some heavy "teasing" about it. I know it's all in good fun, but it strikes me funny that folks can't just appreciate the lovely ambiance and find some solace in that fact that they can now join us in our small cove of peace! Morale: Ambiance good, headaches bad. Keeping opinions positive or if not positive, private - best.

Charity
I've worked in the non-profit sector for nearly eight years, in that time, I've learned a few things. There are essentially three types of folks that attend charitable events and get involved in charitable boards/committees. 1) The Heart of Gold - genuinely wants to help, whether it's for personal interest in doing good in the world or through a personal relationship with the cause - supporting your alma mater because it's where you went to school or supporting a medical research cause because you lost a family member to the disease, etc. These folks are amazing. Will go above and beyond and really in it for the right reason. The remaining two unfortunately can be great assets to a board and can help with events, etc. but they'll never have the dedication of those golden folks. Your second attendees - 2) Because someone invited them and there is a chance of meeting someone either to a)network or b) hook up with. These are great fun to meet and chat up. There's always some great line about why they're there etc. This category also includes those folks that felt like they "should" go because a friend or family member needed them to come. Also fun to chat with. 3) Someone said there would be free food or drink. Morale: Find the organization or cause where you can be in group #1. Being #2 or #3 sometimes if fine and can be quite a hoot, but seriously as a member of this planet Earth - find that #1 for you.

So, those are my nuggets of fables for today. Watch out for that tortoise or hare and enjoy March as it roars in like a lion...hopefully it will leave like a lamb and welcome some lovely springtime weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment